At Harco Plumbing & Mechanical in Guelph, we know how chillingly cold Canadian winters can be. That’s why it’s imperative that you keep your boiler in tip top shape. Otherwise, you can expect plenty of unwanted visits from Jack Frost.
The following are some tips to help you ensure that your boiler is in working order all winter long (courtesy of doityourself.com).
- Unblock air vents and flues. Clogged air vents hinder your boiler’s performance, especially gas boilers. Check your boiler’s air vents and flues periodically and remove any dirt or debris that has accumulated.
- Check the water level. It is very important that you check the unit’s water level every two weeks. If the boiler should function without water, it can endanger your home and family, as well as cause irreparable damage to the unit. Be sure to also check if the pilot light is on.
- Look for leaks. Leaks (gas or fuel) may occur during normal use. If you notice leaks around the valves, then some adjustments to the boiler are needed. If you find any worn out or damaged parts, then you need to replace them.
- Check for lime-scale. Too much hard water in your boiler can cause lime-scale to build up and hinder the unit’s heating capacity. If too much lime-scale accumulates, then you need to de-scale the boiler.
- Lubricate your boiler. Your boiler requires periodic lubrication (fans, pumps) in order to operate efficiently.
- Clear out any dust in your boiler room. Dust can easily build up in your boiler room, which can affect your boiler’s performance. Clean out any dust that you see, especially around the fan.
- Flush out the water in your boiler. Clear out all the water in the unit a couple of times per year, particularly after winter when the boiler is at full operating capacity. Lime-scale, grit, and dirt usually accrue inside the unit so flushing out the water and cleaning the interior is a good idea. Be sure to install new gaskets before putting in new water.
- Perform an annual inspection. You should have your boiler checked annually by a registered professional.
At Harco, we offer a wide variety of superior heating and plumbing services, including boilers, water softeners, radiant floor heating, and sump pumps. Contact us today to learn more.
Harco Plumbing & Mechanical is located at 69 Fleming Road in Guelph. Call us at 519-265-6423, email us at email@example.com, or visit us online at www.harcoplumbingandmechanical.com for more information. We also service Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, and Stratford (519-880-0105), as well as Woodstock and Innerkip (519-421-1827).
We are also on YouTube. Click here to see our video.